Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Kidney Stone - OUCH!!


I have done my best to make sure that everyone knows that Eastfield College has a Scanning Electron Microscope that students and faculty can use.  In fact, if you read this blog at all, you know that I say that in every post. (Oh, look. I just did it again!) As a result several students show up to use the SEMs each day and I am beginning to take our portable SEM to area schools. 

One thing that I really didn't expect is people bringing me things to image, and today I was handed my most interesting specimen - and I do mean specimen.  A kidney stone that one of my colleagues passed yesterday.  (I will not tell you who - he or she can tell you if they want to.)

I am told that passing a kidney stone is an extremely painful experience.  The images below really show why that is true.

So brace yourself for an up-close and personal look at a kidney stone.

 Dissecting Scope Image
This is not the entire stone - a small piece broke off

Dissecting Scope Image

SEM Image[20x]

SEM [249x]
Take about death by a 1000 cuts, this view down one edge really shows the angular crystals of calcium and uric acid.

SEM [850x]

SEM [500x]

SEM [208x]
Top view showing not only angular crystals, but also round nodules

SEM [750x]

SEM [250x]

SEM [400x]

SEM [800x]

SEM [2,000x]

SEM [65x]
Interestingly, part of the kidney stone was not made of sharp and nodular crystals.  There was a more solid portion.
SEM [200x]

SEM [561x]
This image, and the one below, show some of the cost of a kidney stone.  The dark patches are tissue from the donor.
SEM [1,600x]

Definitely one of the most unusual and scary things I have imaged.  I don't know about you, but I am going to drink more water!!

See you in the lab.




7 comments:

  1. kidney stone

    Kidney stone is a disease in the urinary tract wherein specks of minerals form into the urinary tract and even within the kidneys and as a result, it causes pain and discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a 'proven' multiple stone producer............OUCH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In one of the first pics, it looks just like a tapeworm is there! Creepy, creepy, creepy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am really struggling taking images in SEM for kidney stones, can you please let me know your sample preparation technique?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are urgently in need of kidney donors in Kokilaben Hospital India for the sum of $450,000,00,All donors are to reply via Email only Email: kokilabendhirubhaihospital@gmail.com
    WhatsApp +91 7795833215

    ReplyDelete